- Plan and advance GIS related basic researches and integration of resources of the GIS Center at Academia Sinica.
- Coordinate short-, medium-, and long-term operations of multidisciplinary researches focusing on related topics in the sciences and humanities.
- Coordinate the execute GIS related research and evaluate results in order to promote its application.
- Combine related units to culutivate basis for research.
- Advance collaborations and interactions between the GIS development team and other domestic or international institutes.
- Remain actively involved and recruitment of elites for more efficient coordination and integration.
- Endeavor research projects for collaborations during initial stages, then aspire support for related researches in planning.
- Regular conferences for PI’s
- Nurturing of and Encouragement of involvement of young scholars.
Objectives and Strategies
- Lower technical and knowledge requirements for spatial application.
- Sustain collection and construction of sustaining and unifying spatial base data and knowledge and building of spatial data infrastructure.
- Collect, compile, analyze, and provide various types of base images covering Taiwan and China over the span of their history (including maps, survey images, and other value-added products)
- Develop Spatio-temporal application environment and tools
- Construct cross-disciplinary application environments based on integration, analysis and map metaphors of space and time and accumulate research results.
- Look for ‘What is out there’, but also understand the process of incidents.
- Develop and construct spatio-temporal knowledge application environment and tools.
- Construct application environment for information integration, value-adding, and accumulation based on map metaphor.
- Provide efficient support and service models in order to meet the needs of basic research application in the humanities, life sciences, environmental changes, and other disciplines.
- Knowledge of and Specialists in Spatial Contexts
- Intelligence and Resources of Information Department
- Requirements and Innovation of Research
- Foundation of thematic research groups for profound researches. Research groups are as follow:
- Health and Medical and Environmental Transition
- Geographic Information System and Science
- Historical Demography
- GIS of Taiwan Socio-Economic Indicators
- Modern China and Imperial Maritime Customs
- Cultural Resources, Folk Religion, and Local Community
- Indigenous Tribes and Their Human/Land Relationships
- Construction of Basic Environment
- Databases of Maps and Survey Images
- Integration of Spatio-temporal Basic Structures with Maps and Survey Image Databases
- Spatio-temporal Virtual Libraries
- Thematic Databases and Integrated Analysis of Spatial Information
Integrated Application Research
- Database of History of Environmental Transition of Taiwan and China and Environmental Transition Studies
- Community Development and Socio-Economy Transition of Ming Qing China
- Database of Taiwan Historical Demography based on existing registration information from Japanese Colonial period